Fluctuations in CPU temperature contribute to a considerable amount of network downtime and lead to network performance deterioration. When the CPU gets overheated, network devices slow down or even shut off; it also affects the performance of other network devices and causes an unpleasant user experience. CPU over utilization is not only a problem in itself but is also an indication of several other issues. Monitoring CPU temperature is important for any business that aims to be a front-runner in its field. However, it’s not as easy as it sounds.
Key challenges while monitoring CPU temperature
- Identifying critical devices: Not all devices are crucial to business operations. There might be a few critical devices in your network whose CPU temperature increase could lead to network downtime and other severe issues. Therefore, you need to identify critical network devices and consistently monitor their CPUs.
- Identifying causes of CPU temperature increases: Multiple factors cause a spike in CPU utilization. A few among the many are hardware faults, poor airflow, and background processes. Spotting the reason behind a spike in CPU temperature is a grueling process, but it will make troubleshooting much more efficient.
- Monitoring CPU temperature and other critical hardware health metrics: You need to be able to monitor CPU temperature alongside other critical metrics so as not to lose focus on any critical metric that might cause a network interruption. The challenge is to have all these metrics in a single pane to maintain network stability.
- Setting up timely alerting: Being proactively alerted during the first signs of a CPU temperature spike helps you resolve it before it interrupts business operations. Having an alerting system in place is essential to avoid mishaps.
- Assigning manpower to troubleshoot CPU temperature issues: Manpower in an organization is generally limited; on the other hand, the number of problems to troubleshoot is not. That is why you need to automate the resolution of routine CPU fault management tasks.
OpManager: Advanced CPU temperature monitoring software
OpManager is an end-to-end CPU temperature monitoring tool that enables you to monitor CPU temperature for over 10,000 devices across more than 5,300 vendors. Here’s how you can effortlessly manage CPU temperature with OpManager:
- Monitor metrics that cause a spike in CPU temperature: Ensure excellent network performance by consistently monitoring CPU temperature along with fan speed, power supply, processor clock speed, battery, and other metrics. Monitoring multiple metrics that affect CPU performance helps you reach the root cause quickly and easily.
- Proactively identify and fix potential CPU issues: OpManager’s multi-level, threshold-based alerting enables you to get alerted before a spike in CPU temperature causes a problem in your network operations. You can tend to critical alerts by converting them to notifications. These notifications can be sent as an email, SMS, or chat (Slack), or via any other communication platform of your choice.
- Escalate critical CPU alerts to a higher-level stakeholder: Certain alarms are more important to business operations than others. With OpManager’s alarm escalation rule, you can escalate critical alarms to a higher-level stakeholder if the alarm is not resolved by the assigned technician within a specific period.
- Integrate with ITSM tools for faster troubleshooting: Alert the on-field technician when there’s a spike in CPU temperature by integrating OpManager with ticketing tools such as ServiceNow and ServiceDesk Plus. This helps you ensure faster resolution of issues.
- Automate management of CPU temperature faults: Routine CPU fault management tasks such as starting or stopping service or restarting a device can be automated with OpManager’s workflows, saving you a ton of manpower and costs.
- Track CPU temperature along with other critical metrics: With OpManager’s customizable dashboards, you can consistently monitor critical metrics using widgets. Monitor the CPU temperature of multiple network devices by placing it as a widget on the dashboard.
- Analyze CPU temperature with built-in hardware health reports: OpManager makes the best use of performance data by generating over 100 reports, including the hardware health reports that help you analyze CPU performance on a broader level. It also helps you make proactive decisions by observing past patterns.
This is not all—we have so much more in store for you. Our experts will help you explore more such features to maintain network stability by monitoring CPU temperature. All you have to do is request a free, personalized demo.